Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Lunch for my twin-in-law

I had the television on in the background a week or so ago when I noticed that whatever show it was had sisters-in-law on who look alike.  In this case the brothers happened to marry two unrelated girls, so it was a funny coincidence.  I don't remember the details because I think it was the Rachel Ray show, which I actually can't stand.  I find Rachel to be loud, obnoxious and pretty much inappropriate in general.  She's like metal nails, fingernails, and glass all scraping over a chalkboard at once in the middle of a church service.  

Anyway, the sister-in-law thing caught my attention because my brother was married last year to the sweetest breath of fresh air... and people are always getting us confused!  We look more like sisters than my brother and I look like actual siblings.  It freaks me out a little. 

I'm hoping that she will stop by for lunch today.  There is an ulterior motive, here, though.  I am supposed to be headed over to Pout! to have a hand treatment done for a news piece.  And honestly, with the month we've had around here, I could really use a little pampering!  That was the best phone call I received all day yesterday!  So, I'm planning on using some spaghetti carbonara to entice her to come eat with me and then watch tv while I'm out and Jr. is napping.  It's one of my favorite go-to recipes:

1 box of thin spaghetti*
6 slices bacon
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 small to medium sized onion, chopped
1 package frozen peas (I like the kind you steam in the bag in the microwave)
2 eggs, lightly beaten.
shredded parmesan cheese (as much as you generally like!)

Cook pasta in salted water.  While it is boiling, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until cooked through, but not crispy.  Remove bacon and place on a paper towel and chop or tear into pieces, then remove all except about 2 tablespoons of grease from skillet.  Add olive oil, then garlic and onion and cook until translucent.  In the meantime, cook the peas in the microwave and add to the garlic and onion mixture.  Add bacon.  When pasta is finished, drain and add it to the skillet as well.  Add egg and toss the entire mixture until egg is cooked, about 90 seconds.  Add parmesan and toss some more.  Add salt and pepper to taste, if desired.  Serve immediately.

Hopefully this will entice my sister-in-law to stay!

*I often use half a box, as this dish doesn't really keep well, so I adjust according to how many people are eating it.  When I cut it in half, I use 4 pieces of bacon, half an onion, and half a bag of peas.  


No comments:

Post a Comment