Sunday, March 8, 2009

Strawberries, enhanced


Today the birds are yakking at each other spritefully and there is a brilliant red cardinal sitting in an as yet unbudded tree in the yard that is begging to have it's photo taken. It's gorgeous out, and we have had every meal on the patio! 

This is the kind of day that puts me in the mood for ripe, juicy fruit.  When I was a teenager I started marinating strawberries.  I would  wash them, cut the tops off, slice the strawberries in half, place them in a lidded container then sprinkle sugar and balsamic vinegar over them.  Yes, you read correctly... balsamic vinegar.  I think I got it from a Martha Stewart article or something, but it was 15 years ago, at least, so I'm not sure.  Anyway, leave the container of strawberries in the refrigerator overnight.  If you are impatient like me, they still taste wonderful after a couple of  hours, but once they have sat over night it is as if they have taken an fGh (flavor growth hormone).  It's as if you can taste their deep red color.  Try it, you'll love it!

1 comment:

  1. So good! My French mother-in-law also dips them in sour cream and sugar. Yum.

    ReplyDelete